Tuesday 9 October 2007

Pakistan vs. South Africa

Profit: £0.17

Well, it's a start, but it could have been better if I hadn't been greedy or complacent.

I bet on betfair, which tends to have the best odds on the cricket markets, but importantly lets you bet either for ('back') or against ('lay') any particular outcome happening. What this means is that you're not necessarily relying on any one outcome happening - you can make a profit by backing and laying the same outcome but at different odds.

I made my first trade backing South Africa at 8 after Pakistan got off to a flyer. The price seemed way too high for the second day, and with Pakistan still around 300 runs behind. I was proved right when three quick wickets fell and I traded out for a £1.14 profit regardless of the match result by laying at 5. I built up more green -around £5.00 each on South Africa and Pakistan - but left myself with a large red on the draw, sure that the wicket would deteriorate and that quick wickets would fall. When this didn't happen, I had to lose much of my green to make sure that I wouldn't take a loss on the draw.

Still, I was only ever trading in sums of £2.00 or lower, and so a 17p profit is a return of 8.5%.

No comments: